Baltika / Балтика
In 1954, by decree of the government, the First State Precision Jewel Factory (ТТК-1) was formally renamed “Petrodvorets Watch Factory” with the intention of producing high-quality pocket and wristwatches for men. This lead to a proliferation of discrete brands in the second half of the 1950s, all powered by Petrodvorets movements. These brands included Baltika, Leningrad, Mayak, Neva, Russia, Start, and Svet. In 1962, the vast majority of these brands were consolidated under a single trademark: Raketa.
The Baltika brand (Балтика, meaning "baltic") was likely introduced around 1960, but was very short-lived marque with only one design. The Baltika was special due to the caliber 2609 which powered it – an advanced, 21-jewel movement with cap jewels, the first watch movement designed in-house at Petrodvorets Watch Factory (prior movements relied on plans from First Moscow Watch Factory). This early caliber inspired a long line of Raketa movements designed and developed around the same blueprint, each with slightly different features.
The Baltika brand was retired in 1962, but the caliber 2609 would live on for more than two decades thereafter. As with many Petrodvorets designs, after 1962, the Baltika aesthetic was carried over to a Raketa-branded alternative (here).
Caliber: 2609 (21 jewels) Model: 1182-K Year: early 1960s Notes: Petrodvorets Watch Factory