Mechta / Мечта

In April, 1935, the Third State Watch Factory was formed in Penza, a city 625 kilometres southeast of Moscow. This factory was reconstructed from the remnants of the Frunze Bicycle Plant using newly-acquired tooling from LIP. LIP engineers and technicians were also responsible for supervising the installation of all equipment and for training Russian engineers. (See also: ZIF)

 

The factory was renamed Penza Watch Factory in the year 1940. This factory focused primarily on small-sized ladies movements, and throughout the 1950s a number of different brands were produced, including Aurora, Junost, Kometa, Lux, Lyra, Mechta, Sura, Vesna, and Zvezda

The Mechta brand (Мечта, meaning "dream") was produced for a short time around 1960. These watches relied on the caliber 1509 movement with 15 jewels. This movement was notable for being the smallest Soviet caliber ever manufactured with a central second hand (sweep second). The Mechta brand was retired just a few years after its inception, when all watches produced at Penza Watch Factory were consolidated under a single trademark: Zaria

Mechta / Мечта
Mechta / Мечта

Caliber: 1509 (15 jewels) Year: 1950s Notes: Ladies watch, Penza watch factory

press to zoom
Mechta / Мечта
Mechta / Мечта

Caliber: 1509 (15 jewels) Year: 1950s Notes: Ladies watch, Penza watch factory

press to zoom
Mechta / Мечта
Mechta / Мечта

Caliber: 1509 (15 jewels) Year: 1950s Notes: Ladies watch, Penza watch factory

press to zoom