Volga / Волга

In December, 1937, the Council of People's Commissars ordered a factory to be built in the town of Uglich, 120 km north of Moscow. This factory, named the Second State Precision Jewel Factory (ТТК-2), was constructed between 1938 until 1942. Initially, the factory produced semi-precious and precious stones for the technical industry (such a ruby jewels to be used in watch movements). 

 

In 1950, the plant was renamed Uglich Watch Factory and began focusing on wristwatch production, first manufacturing Zvezda timepieces, and in 1959, expanding to Volga watches. The Volga brand was named after the Volga River (Река Волга), the longest in Europe, along which the Uglich Watch Factory was manufactured.

 

In 1963, after cosmonaut Valentina Tereshkova became the first woman in Space, Uglich Watch Factory was renamed Chaika Watch Factory. (Chaika was the callsign Tereshkova used during her historic flight on board Vostok 6.) ​All subsequently produced watches would bear this name, cementing Volga's status as an obscure and short-lived ladies watch marque.

Volga / Волга
Volga / Волга

Caliber: 1600 (17 jewels) Year: 1950s Notes: Ladies watch, Second Moscow Watch Factory

press to zoom
Volga / Волга
Volga / Волга

Caliber: 1600 (17 jewels) Year: 1950s Notes: Ladies watch, integral bracelet, Second Moscow Watch Factory

press to zoom
Volga / Волга
Volga / Волга

Caliber: 1600 (17 jewels) Year: 1950s Notes: Ladies watch, Second Moscow Watch Factory

press to zoom
Volga / Волга
Volga / Волга

Caliber: 1600 (17 jewels) Year: 1950s Notes: Ladies watch, Second Moscow Watch Factory

press to zoom
Volga / Волга
Volga / Волга

Caliber: 1600 (17 jewels) Model: ЧН-501К Year: 1950s Notes: Ladies watch, Second Moscow Watch Factory

press to zoom
Volga / Волга
Volga / Волга

Caliber: 1600 (17 jewels) Model: ЧН-502К Year: 1950s Notes: Ladies watch, Second Moscow Watch Factory

press to zoom